Saturday, May 25, 2013

Phillies Twisted Rationale to Martinez's Call Up

    So Chase Utley hit the disabled list and we all eagerly awaited the call up of Darin Ruf or Cesar Hernandez.  While Ruf is a first baseman / sad excuse for an outfielder, with Freddy Galvis to cover the fielding, many figured the Phillies would go for offense and give Ruf the call.  They did not.  At the very least, many assumed Hernandez would receive the call, as he is primarily a second baseman and has hit .312 this season in Lehigh Valley.  Wrong again.  This is about when every Phillies fan worst nightmare came true, the Phillies called up, gulp, Michael Martinez.
 
Here's a picture of my cat laying in an odd pose for no reason whatsoever. Read on!
 
    Yes, that Michael Martinez, the one who has hit only .188 over his time on the Phillies roster the past two seasons.  The same Michael Martinez that I'm convinced is some evil sabotage plan thought up by the Nationals when we took him from them in the 2011 Rule 5 Draft.  On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the highest) its safe to say that every Phillies fan currently is at a level 1,236,859 of anger over this move made by the Phillies.  So now lets look at the Phillies twisted rationalization they've made over why Martinez got the call.
    The Phillies claim part of the reason they chose Martinez over the clearly more qualified options, was because they could use someone to run.  Maybe its just me but frankly I think Martinez is deceivingly slow.  By allowing him to run for someone like Delmon Young, the Phillies say they can save the bats on the bench for later innings.  Well you may not want to let Cliff Lee keep pinch running but frankly he may be faster, is definitely more likable and a much better hitter as well, just saying. 
    Another reason the Phillies gave for choosing Martinez?  He's a switch hitter.  That's all fine and dandy but when you can't hit at all, why does it matter what side of the plate you stand on?  I mean technically in Little League my coach had me try and bunt from the left side because I was slow as a turtle and couldn't hit for the life of me.  Did my ability to stand on both sides of the plate help?  Nope, more just a novelty and made for an awesome argument between my coach and the other teams when I switched back to the right side of the plate midway through an at-bat, but I digress.
    Finally, the Phillies used the old "he can play multiple positions argument."  Well he may be able to stand in multiple spots in the field, but isn't a superb defender, at least in my opinion.  I mean technically Michael Young has played every infield position in his career, so if we're looking for mediocre versatility, why not use someone who can actually get on base to?  I would've even taken Pete Orr over Martinez, mainly because I can't stand Martinez and Orr seems like a cool dude, but hey that's good enough for me.  So yes, he may not see much or even any time while on the roster, but at least entertain us all and give an actual prospect a chance to show what he's got for a few weeks, rather than waste our time and roster spots on the one and only Michael Martinez.

No comments:

Post a Comment