Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Flyers Capitalize on Washington Errors: Flyers 4, Capitals 1

       The Broad Street Beat sent me out on assignment tonight, which is an embellished way of saying I bought a ticket with my own money with some friends for tonight's game.  If you had a favorite Flyer, chances are he probably scored a goal tonight.  That could be a biased opinion, but either way I shall explain.

        In a move that was reminiscent of the decisive game 6 against the Penguins last playoffs, Claude Giroux scored only 23 seconds into the game.  I had not been seated for more than a minute when the crowd started roaring.  From that moment on you could tell it was going to be one of those kinds of games.  Wayne Simmonds scored a mere 4 minutes later to put the Flyers up 2-0 rather quickly.  That score lasted into the first intermission.
         If I could have picked a more perfect scenario to be present for at a Flyers game this season, I don't think I could have done it.  3:54 into the second period, fan favorite, and recent returnee, Simon Gagne, lit the lamp in his first game back in Philadelphia since 2010.  When the Flyers traded for him 20-some hours ago he had not registered a single goal this season.  It only took 23 minutes back in his rightful uniform for him to score his first of (what I hope is) many.  Note: Harry Z gave Gagne #12 back.  Now he's wearing #37, which is funny because I thought he'd be wearing #12 with a Phantoms logo on it.
         Finally, to finish the party, former Penguin Maxime Talbot notched a goal to make it 4-0.  As far as Flyers players go, Talbot gets a lot of respect because a.) he ditched the Penguins and came to the good side b.) he used to wear #27, the most best number in all of sports and c.) his beard flow can't be messed with.
         After leaving a bit early, so the Caps fans I was there with wouldn't be subject to ridicule, Joel Ward messed up Bryz's chance at a shutout with a goal with 2 minutes left in the game to make the final 4-1.  All in all, this was the best Flyers game one could hope to see, sans the absence of a fight, but whatever, I've got no hard feelings toward Washington (screw Pittsburgh though).  You even got to see Ovechkin trip over his own feet.  Something I would no doubt do if I was forced to play professional hockey, but it's funnier because it's Ovie.
        In summation: Gagne, Gagne, Gagne, Gagne!

No comments:

Post a Comment